Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Burn baby burn: colon inferno
      #110701 - 10/06/04 12:21 AM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Hi,

Another weird symptom I forgot to ask everyone about . . .

Sometimes when I go to the bathroom, I get this weird and very uncomfortable sensation in my GI tract: burning. This isn't "heartburn"; it's lower down, in the colon, and it accompanies a bowel movement. Lately I've been feeling a bit of burning a day or so after going to the bathroom. (I don't go that often; I have IBS C.)

Again, when I mention this to my doc, he just gives me a strange look.

Sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks once again!

--salsagal

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Burn baby burn: colon inferno new
      #110831 - 10/06/04 01:47 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, salsagal!

Are you taking peppermint caps? Some people have said they give them "minty fresh" poops! That could feel like a burning sensation maybe.

Do you eat a lot of spicy food? Maybe it's just the heat from the peppers and stuff.

Anyone else have an idea?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Burn baby burn: colon inferno new
      #110967 - 10/06/04 09:42 PM
salsagal

Thanks for your thoughts, but I don't take peppermint caps, and I stay away from spicey food 'cuz I have reflux. This isn't just "hmm . . my gut is burning!" burning. This is "I can't believe I'm practically sweating" burning. It's very, very uncomfortable.

Re: Sounds like pain new
      #111044 - 10/07/04 07:32 AM
Lefty1

Reged: 08/09/04

The sweating suggests that your in pain too. Could it be that you need more water??? To help with the C? Is it possible that as your BM moves through you it's too... um....dry and it is actually friction that is causing you to have the burning feeling.

I am not really helping I know...

I get this new
      #111048 - 10/07/04 07:50 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I run fevers when I have an IBS attack. I have IBS-D, and when I get an attack, I break into sweat and get these horrible crampy contractions. During the contractions, which usually last about 3-5 minutes, I spike a fever, sweat, and have blinding, sharp cramps in by gut. When the contractions come one on top of each other, it's time to go to the bathroom for explosive D. During and after, I get this ferocious burning in my lower gut, esp my rectum and anus. I've always thot it was the stomach acid leaving my body (when I near finish, the D is always just watery fluid).

My body gets so hot, I have to strip down to nothing, or else it feels I'm going to pass out from the heat. Cooling myself down at this stage, with water, ice, a fan, whatever, will lessen the severity and duration of my attack.

Sorry for the unpretty picture. I'm guessing the heat you're describing is stomach acid and friction of your bowels. I think.

~nelly~

#111286 - 10/07/04 10:49 PM
salsagal

Hmmm . . . friction. Hadn't thought of that. Like Nelly, I too get the sweats. My whole body goes on red alert.

In my case, I wonder if the burn is related to gas. Early this AM, I was awakened by tons of gassy pressure just below my ribs---plus the blasted burning.

Re: stomach acid--why would it be in the colon?

--Salsagal

#112521 - 10/12/04 06:45 PM
Sheryl

Reged: 10/04/04
Loc: PA

....In rare cases, it's possible to have stomach lining cells in the intestines. So avoiding foods that could cause an acidic reaction might be wise. If the food races through the system too quickly, bile gets into the colon....then it feels like it's burning all the way through. I get this burning sensation a lot. Then this causes my lining to become inflamed...and it sets up a vicious cycle. Eating to the point of satiation but not fullness prevents the gut juices from leaking into the rest of the body. I've noticed that when I'm full...I suffer greatly. Heather is right on target about eating smaller portions. Also 80% of digestion happens in the mouth. We need to chew each bite really thoroughly. I would also check...take a test to see if you have enough Hydrochloric Acid in your body. I think there's a test we can take for that. It's a journey, isn't it? Every day is a test of endurance...trying this and that until you figure out what's going on.

Hugs,

Sheryl

--------------------
To every problem, the answer is love.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review