All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Two days of feeling realy good made me relize this
      #109775 - 10/02/04 08:53 AM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

I want that feeling all the time!! So I am going to get very serious about this diet!!!! I am giving up DAIRY. I have still been eating Cheese and Sourcream. I relize that feeling great and being able to do things with my family is so much more important and wonderfull than eating dairy. I want to feel that good more than I want to eat all the food we are not supposed to eat. It has taken me awhile to get to this point and feel like an idiot for taking this long to get here.

I know this is going to be hard. And for some reason it is a little scary. I am determind to do this. I am also going to give that reliv product a try in about a month when I can afford it . I just hope I have enough will power to pull this off. Dairy is such a huge part of everything I used to cook. I was allergic to dairy as a child and could only start eating it when I was about 10 years old. That is also when I started having a problem with my weight. My mom is convinced I still have an allergy to it. So I am going to give it up. Please I need some support and engourgement. I have no willpower. I am one of those instant gratifaction people. I realy want to do this!!
Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Two days of feeling realy good made me relize this new
      #109781 - 10/02/04 09:16 AM
mul132

Reged: 08/04/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Heather,

Giving up dairy was really hard for me too. I stoped it cold tureky, along with everything else, when I found this diet 2 months ago. The first two weeks were hard, but after that I haven't really been tempted to cheat. I'm still not feeling great, but I'm alot better than I was before. Felling better has made all the difference in the world for me. I've found things to substitue for Dairy, sure it's not the same, but at least I don't get sick afterwards. Hang in there, it will get easier once you start feeling good. And if you need any support along the way, we're all here for you.

Meg

You can do it! new
      #109785 - 10/02/04 09:37 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I know you say you have no willpower, but you've already gotten through the worst of it - you've reached the point where you KNOW you have to give the stuff up in order to feel good. Once you get to that point, giving up "the bad stuff" really does get a little easier. Every time you're tempted, remember how miserable you feel when you have an attack. It helps!

I've always been stubborn about dairy too. I've been lactose intolerant my entire life, but did that ever stop me from eating ice cream or cheese? Of course not. And ya know what? When I look back on it, every time I've gone heavy on the dairy, I've packed on the pounds, too. You're definitely not alone.

You can do it!! I always tell people that if I can give up stuff, ANYONE can. I'm the queen of zero willpower.

Good luck!

Re: Casey new
      #109787 - 10/02/04 09:45 AM
heather7476

When you say attack it confuses me because when I have this pain it is all day long and can last days. Even if I am not running to the bathroom I can still have this pain. Is that still an attack. I am so confussed by the pain because it sounds like most people only have the pain while having a BM or right before. Mine is all day. It is up high to. I don't know, this pain is the most frustrating thing in the world right now.

Thanks for encourgement and support. I am going to try realy hard to make this work!!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: dairy new
      #109790 - 10/02/04 09:53 AM
RachelT

Reged: 07/01/04
Loc: Minnesota

I'm with you and everyone else on the dairy thing, Heather. I loved it, but didn't have much of a tolerance for it, and it definately helped me put the weight on. It's hard, I know, but you CAN do it! Just know that you'll feel 1000 times better without it. On the plus side, there are dairy alternatives that taste great. Even the sour cream (made by Tofutti) is believable. Good luck, hon! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

--------------------
~ Rachel (IBS-C)
If life hands you lemons, make lemonade!!

Heather new
      #109813 - 10/02/04 01:06 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you talked to your doc about acid reflux problems? Cause that sounds like a possible if you're getting the pain alot and it's high up. I used to get it all the time (can you believe when I first got it, I didn't even know what it was?! ).

Giving up dairy is so worth it. Especially if you want to lose weight - it is SO calorific. And there are so many great alternatives these days. Your right, feeling good is worth a dietary restriction! Good luck.

#109820 - 10/02/04 01:21 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Hi again. Giving up dairy is hard but SO WORTH IT. The only thing I miss is the cheese. You can get dairy-free cream cheese, margarine, sour cream, soy, rice or almond milk, etc. Dairy is not meant for human consumption and is an irritant to our poor old tummies. http://www.celestialhealing.net/milkpage.htm
http://www.milksucks.com/free.html So pooey on dairy.

I lost most of my weight from cutting out dairy from my diet. So if you have any kind of weight issue, it will be a nice bonus as you'll surely lose weight.

If you have any questions, please ask me! I haven't had it in about 6 months and can honestly say that I'm better without it!

Tina

#109821 - 10/02/04 01:30 PM
Mitch

Reged: 02/06/04
Loc: Tucson, AZ

Yes giving up dairy is very worth it. I realized that a long time ago. It will help in the long run. I now just drink all soy products and eat soy cheese. I know its not the same but then I think of how I will feel if I do eat regular dairy and know I don't want to feel that way. Good luck on this and I know that you will succeed you have come to realize that you are more important that having some cheese or milk.
I am here for you if you need anything please do not hesitate to write to me if you need any support or advice or anything. Take Care!!

--------------------
Michelle

Re: Thanks so much new
      #109823 - 10/02/04 01:40 PM
heather7476

Thank you guys much! It is wonderfull to be able to come here and know you all will understand. My Hubby (god love him) just doesn't get it. He is my best friend as well as my husband and it can so frustrating trying to make him understand this is a forever thing. That yes that one chessebruger will put me in pain for days. He is trying he realy is. I am feeling better today not great but ok,and I can live with ok for now.

I made it to the grocery store today. You know it is funny how things work out. The store I shop at had a sale starting today that you got 10% off your entire bill if you spent $50.00 or more. So I save 22 dollars by waiting till today to go. Now I am glad I didn't make it yesterday.
Thanks so much everyone!! Trust me I am going to need all the support I need!!!!!
You guys are wonderfull!!!

--------------------
Heather7476

Re: LINZ new
      #109825 - 10/02/04 01:44 PM
heather7476

Linz
My doctor called me last night to see how I was doing. I told her about the pain and she told me start taking my protonix again. That stupid GI told me to stop. It is for Acid Reflux so we will see if it helps. She said it could take a week or two before i felt any great differance because it takes time for the stomach lining to heal. I will keep you posted. Thanks

--------------------
Heather7476

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2517 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 897

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review