All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Can't take soy yogurt or vitamins. Nutritionally deplete?
      #109392 - 09/30/04 04:52 PM
Lauriea

Reged: 08/18/04

Soy yogurt really turns me off and I cannot tolerate mutivitamins. I am worried that with my limited diet (soluble fiber foods plus babyfood veggies) I am not getting my proper nutrition. I have no calcium in my diet at all and I'm 47 years old and am concerned about osteoarthritis. Please advise. Thanks. Laurie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Can't take soy yogurt or vitamins. Nutritionally deplete? new
      #109396 - 09/30/04 04:56 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

What about regular soy milk? Almost all the brands I see have added calcium in them. You can also get calcium from some veggies - I think it's the dark green ones like broccoli, so look for that in the babyfood (or make your own!).

#109400 - 09/30/04 05:09 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

or rice milk- mine has calcium added there too... and my luna bars have calcium...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#109402 - 09/30/04 05:14 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Hi, Lauriea! I too am at high risk for osteoporosis due to family history. I recently tried Minute Maid's orange juice with calcium, which was very good. Sardines are another excellent natural source of calcium and protein and heart healthy oils. Many vegetables also are good sources of calcium. When you say you can't tolerate multivitamins I assume you mean calcium tablets or chews?

Also, I'm concerned that your diet is still too limited. Heather only recommends staying on just soluble fiber food for two to three days to settle your tummy down a little. By now you should be adding back many more foods. As long as you are taking an SFS you should be able to tolerate them.

Have you considered fruit smoothies or veggie breads? What protein are you getting? Have you tried white meat chicken or tuna packed in water? A little peanut butter on your toast?

You're right that we need to get a varied diet for complete nutrition! Good for you for taking action on it!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 429 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 595

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review