Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fish cakes???
      #108639 - 09/27/04 01:21 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Hi everyone
I found these fish cakes at my local supermarket and they are really yummy, can I have these with plenty of soluable fiber??
What should I be looking for in the ingredients that could give me an attack???

Also, I love pizza and usually only have a small amount, it has very little cheese on it, ham and pineapple alot of base and lot's of tomato puree on top is this safe with soluable fiber???
While I think of it are mushy peas bad for IBS??
Thanks
Niki
xxx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fish cakes??? new
      #108642 - 09/27/04 01:26 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

For fish cakes, I'm not sure what kind you're talking about, but if they're breaded and fried, they're a definite no. Also, if they contain dairy products, butter, or high fructose corn syrup - not sure if they'd contain any of that, but you never know!

For the pizza, you want to avoid dairy and pork, so no, the cheese and ham aren't a good idea. You can make your own pizza, though, with soy cheese and turkey ham. (Disclaimer!: I can eat turkey ham, but some people can't, because of the high amounts of additives and colorings and such in them.)

Mushy peas should be ok, but as with everything else, be careful how they're made - you want to avoid dairy, cream, butter, etc.

Hope that helps!

#108645 - 09/27/04 01:34 PM
Niki J

Reged: 07/20/04
Loc: UK

Thanks Casey!
I had turkey mince last night, I find it clumps together because it has little fat in it, but it tasted ok!

I think this is going to take some getting used to!
Niki
xxx

#108679 - 09/27/04 04:49 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi Niki,

I have had IBS for about 8 months now. The funny thing is I can eat pizza with cheese and pepperoni and I'm very surprised that it doesn't bother me. Although I can't say it won't bother you either. Anyways, I can eat two good size slices and I don't have any problems. Pepperoni is the ONLY red meat I've eaten so far. Also, I seem to have good luck with mild cheeses like mozzarella only if it is melted. Cheddar bothers me though.

Good luck!!

Carol

#108680 - 09/27/04 04:51 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I make fish cakes that would work... and even have a place to buy them locally, haven't tried any made int he store- they are chopped fish, spices, egg (I use just the whites) and bread crumbs.. a lot of places bake rather then fry them.. and I just bake with cooking oil sprayed on the pan to keep them from sticking.. I'll try to find the recipe.. I know I've removed the oil from the inside of the cakes by sauteeing the onion, garlic, etc in a bit of fish broth or water instead of butter... and they taste just as good.. look for a salmon cake recipe online... or check the ingredients.. I know some I foudn int eh store had MSG and thats a huge trigger for me- not so much of IBS as migraines..

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 914 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1457

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review