All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Imitation Crabmeat Containing Sorbitol
      #108471 - 09/26/04 02:13 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

I went out shopping for my IBS foods and found some imitation crabmeat which I felt would be perfectly safe. What could be wrong with that? After bringing it home, I saw that it contained sorbitol, fractionated coconut oil, and eggs. I threw it out. A month prior to going on the IBS diet, I ate a doughnut labeled as Krispy Kreme, but it was not produced by the original company. After eating a single doughnut, I got sick and discovered that there was sorbitol in the icing. How sneaky. It's difficult for me to find anything that isn't polluted with fructose. This is frustrating. I'm a total newbie, but I wanted to share. Teresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Imitation Crabmeat Containing Sorbitol new
      #108474 - 09/26/04 02:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You'll get better at reading the labels, I promise. After a while, you get so used to it that it's second-nature, and "food mistakes" will be fewer and further between.

The doughnut, by the way, probably made you sick because it's loaded with fat. The sorbitol in the icing wouldn't help, but even an unfrosted one might have caused an attack.

That *is* sneaky about the imitation crab, though. Stick with the real thing, and you'll be fine!

#108484 - 09/26/04 03:07 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Fake crabmeat is tough. There are brands out there that are safe but I haven't found one that is totally safe for me since I have to eat wheat free. I've given up and gone to the real stuff....when I can afford it.

As to donuts I've discovered donut baking pans..they are fantastic and come with recipes that only use one tablespoon fat per dozen. This is similar to what I got.
web page The nice thing is that you bake them, so no mess and no added fat.. and I've found they freeze well too. Kandee

--------------------

Neat! new
      #108490 - 09/26/04 03:32 PM
atomic rose

I've lived a sheltered life... I didn't know they made such a thing! I just emailed my father and told him to get me one for Christmas. Donuts are one of the few things I still miss - I haven't had one since 1996!

Thanks Kandee!

Re: Neat! new
      #108502 - 09/26/04 05:22 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I've lived a sheltered life... I didn't know they made such a thing! I just emailed my father and told him to get me one for Christmas. Donuts are one of the few things I still miss - I haven't had one since 1996!

Thanks Kandee!
You're welcome..but oh my, you haven't had one in 8 years, and now you have to wait till Christmas to get???? (such a shame, since the options for different kinds are endless...and I might add, may put a little weight on you).

I bought a kit (marked down since they were popular last Christmas), at a kitchen store in an outlet mall, like the one on the web site, but also bought a extra pan for the normal size donuts since the recipe makes 2 pans worth and I wanted them all the same size. As far as I know you can get them in a kit or buy pans just separate. If anyone gets just the pans and wants the recipes, just yell and I'll post them.

Since I eat wheat free I used an all purpose baking mix from Bob's Red Mill and they came out heavenly.

--------------------

#108503 - 09/26/04 05:28 PM
atomic rose

Well... I might be able to swing one sooner, but why spend the money when someone else can spend it on me? Once we get settled, I'll hit the stores around here and see if I can find one, actually - we have an "as seen on TV" store in our mall. In the meantime, I'll eat peppermint fudge cake - today's discovery is that I can eat it again! woohoo!

#108511 - 09/26/04 06:46 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I tried making those donuts and they stuck to the pan. Any suggestions????

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#108527 - 09/26/04 09:09 PM
Teresa Lynn

Kandee,
Love your Vegas animation. Thanks for the info on the Doughnut Wizard! I'm getting one ASAP. Do you know any good stuff to make with rice flour? I'll check for some crab meat someplace else. Thanks, Teresa

#108529 - 09/26/04 09:15 PM
Teresa Lynn

Atomic Rose,
My husband and I were both checking labels and somehow that sorbitol one got away from us. Yeah, the fat would've done me in all by itself. I avoid all things that end in tol. I'll learn one of these days, but at the time I didn't know what was causing the IBS until I found Heather's site. Thanks, Teresa

#108539 - 09/27/04 04:17 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

thats great news. I am waiting to buy any more kitchen goodies including the bread machine I want until we are IN the new house... being that we haven't sold this one yet, etc.. that may be a bit.. but I know that there are some major issues with me finding acceptable storage space fro thigns as is and with needing to keep the house show ready- I don't need more toys... but our new kitchen is goign to have to have a LOT more storage, thats one of both of our requirements for a new house!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3136 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3089

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review