All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Imitation Crabmeat Containing Sorbitol
      #108471 - 09/26/04 02:13 PM
Teresa Lynn

Reged: 09/16/04

I went out shopping for my IBS foods and found some imitation crabmeat which I felt would be perfectly safe. What could be wrong with that? After bringing it home, I saw that it contained sorbitol, fractionated coconut oil, and eggs. I threw it out. A month prior to going on the IBS diet, I ate a doughnut labeled as Krispy Kreme, but it was not produced by the original company. After eating a single doughnut, I got sick and discovered that there was sorbitol in the icing. How sneaky. It's difficult for me to find anything that isn't polluted with fructose. This is frustrating. I'm a total newbie, but I wanted to share. Teresa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Imitation Crabmeat Containing Sorbitol new
      #108474 - 09/26/04 02:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You'll get better at reading the labels, I promise. After a while, you get so used to it that it's second-nature, and "food mistakes" will be fewer and further between.

The doughnut, by the way, probably made you sick because it's loaded with fat. The sorbitol in the icing wouldn't help, but even an unfrosted one might have caused an attack.

That *is* sneaky about the imitation crab, though. Stick with the real thing, and you'll be fine!

#108484 - 09/26/04 03:07 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Fake crabmeat is tough. There are brands out there that are safe but I haven't found one that is totally safe for me since I have to eat wheat free. I've given up and gone to the real stuff....when I can afford it.

As to donuts I've discovered donut baking pans..they are fantastic and come with recipes that only use one tablespoon fat per dozen. This is similar to what I got.
web page The nice thing is that you bake them, so no mess and no added fat.. and I've found they freeze well too. Kandee

--------------------

Neat! new
      #108490 - 09/26/04 03:32 PM
atomic rose

I've lived a sheltered life... I didn't know they made such a thing! I just emailed my father and told him to get me one for Christmas. Donuts are one of the few things I still miss - I haven't had one since 1996!

Thanks Kandee!

Re: Neat! new
      #108502 - 09/26/04 05:22 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I've lived a sheltered life... I didn't know they made such a thing! I just emailed my father and told him to get me one for Christmas. Donuts are one of the few things I still miss - I haven't had one since 1996!

Thanks Kandee!
You're welcome..but oh my, you haven't had one in 8 years, and now you have to wait till Christmas to get???? (such a shame, since the options for different kinds are endless...and I might add, may put a little weight on you).

I bought a kit (marked down since they were popular last Christmas), at a kitchen store in an outlet mall, like the one on the web site, but also bought a extra pan for the normal size donuts since the recipe makes 2 pans worth and I wanted them all the same size. As far as I know you can get them in a kit or buy pans just separate. If anyone gets just the pans and wants the recipes, just yell and I'll post them.

Since I eat wheat free I used an all purpose baking mix from Bob's Red Mill and they came out heavenly.

--------------------

#108503 - 09/26/04 05:28 PM
atomic rose

Well... I might be able to swing one sooner, but why spend the money when someone else can spend it on me? Once we get settled, I'll hit the stores around here and see if I can find one, actually - we have an "as seen on TV" store in our mall. In the meantime, I'll eat peppermint fudge cake - today's discovery is that I can eat it again! woohoo!

#108511 - 09/26/04 06:46 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I tried making those donuts and they stuck to the pan. Any suggestions????

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#108527 - 09/26/04 09:09 PM
Teresa Lynn

Kandee,
Love your Vegas animation. Thanks for the info on the Doughnut Wizard! I'm getting one ASAP. Do you know any good stuff to make with rice flour? I'll check for some crab meat someplace else. Thanks, Teresa

#108529 - 09/26/04 09:15 PM
Teresa Lynn

Atomic Rose,
My husband and I were both checking labels and somehow that sorbitol one got away from us. Yeah, the fat would've done me in all by itself. I avoid all things that end in tol. I'll learn one of these days, but at the time I didn't know what was causing the IBS until I found Heather's site. Thanks, Teresa

#108539 - 09/27/04 04:17 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

thats great news. I am waiting to buy any more kitchen goodies including the bread machine I want until we are IN the new house... being that we haven't sold this one yet, etc.. that may be a bit.. but I know that there are some major issues with me finding acceptable storage space fro thigns as is and with needing to keep the house show ready- I don't need more toys... but our new kitchen is goign to have to have a LOT more storage, thats one of both of our requirements for a new house!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

YIKES, Sorbitol! new
      #108553 - 09/27/04 06:49 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi Teresa,

Sorbitol is one of my biggest triggers. I read labels all the time and it's surprising where sorbitol or mannitol or malitol (all similar) will pop up. A lot of people don't realize that it's in most sugar-free stuff like mints & gum and even vitamins.

Thanks for the tip....who would have ever thought it would be in imitation crabmeat?

Great detective work!

Barbie

--------------------

#108591 - 09/27/04 10:42 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Check out Baker's Catalogue for not just a donut pan, but also baked donut mix and glaze! They're actually pretty good, and I don't even have the glaze....

--AC

Re: YIKES, Sorbitol! new
      #108616 - 09/27/04 11:59 AM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Barbie,
I love bunnies and your pic is so cute! I'm gonna have to figure out how to add one to my posts. I know what you mean. We aren't supposed to chew gum, but even if it was okay, we still couldn't. Gum is now loaded up with every tol in existence. So far, they haven't messed with bubble gum or chiclets. I threw out some toothpaste because it contained sorbitol. Ditto for a well-known mouthwash. I know I'm being overly cautious, but I'm the one who will suffer later so why take a chance? Thanks, Teresa

#108618 - 09/27/04 12:11 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hey AstroChick,
Thanks for letting me know about the Baker's Catalogue. I haven't looked at everything yet, but I could go wild in there. I found one of the Donut Wizards on Amazon.com too. Right now, I need to know what's available. I only recently found out that there is actually something I can do to help myself. Thanks, Teresa

Hi Teresa new
      #108689 - 09/27/04 05:42 PM
barbie

WOW, I found someone that looks for sorbitol as much as I do. Yeah, you're right about the toothpaste and mouthwash, too. I found that a lot of the Arm & Hammer toothpastes don't contain sorbitol. Also, there is a listerene, I believe it's the plain one, that doesn't contain it.

I had been taking a vitamin for a long time with no problem. All of a sudden I was having "D" for about 2 weeks. I couldn't figure out what was causing it. Finally, I looked on the ingredients of my vitamins and they had now added mannitol. It wasn't there before because I always look for things like that on the label. I quit taking them and I was fine. Why do they have to put the "tols" in stuff anyway???

e-mail your pic to:
heatherandcompany@yahoo.com, and MAKE SURE TO TELL HER YOUR USER NAME! She will crop the photo and post it for you.

Barbie

--------------------

Re: Hi Teresa new
      #108702 - 09/27/04 06:42 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Barbie, I think that perhaps the sorbitol, manitol, and all the tols are probably relatively cheap and that's why they're using them. One of the reasons I stay on top of labels is because I've had IBS and other chronic health problems since I was seven. I put up another post today about the IBS diet, but I think I'll just ask you. Did you notice a diuretic effect from it at first? I've lost ten pounds which is super and my rings are loose again. I hope it does pull fluids from my system because I don't like taking diuretics and refuse to do so anymore. They make me sick. Thanks for the e-mail address so I can get my pic posted. I sent Heather one and she said she'd put it up when she had a chance, but I didn't give her my user name. Anyway, I'm so glad I found a place to ask questions and finally get answers from people who know what I'm talking about. Thanks, Teresa

#108707 - 09/27/04 07:54 PM
barbie

Hi Teresa,

No, I haven't really noticed a diuretic effect from the diet. Are you specifically talking about the safe foods in the diet or other foods? I go to the bathroom a lot anyway so maybe I didn't notice. I drink a lot of water.

Good for you losing some weight.

Barbie

--------------------

#108741 - 09/28/04 06:21 AM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Barbie,
Yeah, I was talking about the safe foods. It's probably just me, because I've only recently started venturing into adding the other foods to the diet. Thanks for the pic info. Teresa

Baker's Catalogue and being a "bread enthusiast" new
      #108744 - 09/28/04 06:29 AM
AstroChick

Quote:

Thanks for letting me know about the Baker's Catalogue. I haven't looked at everything yet, but I could go wild in there.

Me too! My sweetie got me a bread machine for my birthday because I am, in his words, "such a bread enthusiast". Within 2 hours, I had gone to the Baker's Catalogue website and blown $40 on bread mixes.

--AC, digging having a cool gadget that produces bread on demand!

#108843 - 09/28/04 12:29 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi,
I was curious. Have you had tried to make the doughnuts again? I'm thinking about trying the pans and using the flour Kandee suggested. Thanks, Teresa

Re: Baker's Catalogue and being a "bread enthusiast" new
      #108847 - 09/28/04 12:36 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi AstroChick,
I spent a lot of time on the Baker's Catalogue site today, but I couldn't decide what would be safe to order since I'm a newbie. Would you mind sharing which mixes you got? I caved and ordered their catalogue.
Thanks, Teresa

#108871 - 09/28/04 01:13 PM
AstroChick

Oh, I can't say that I ordered the absolute safest stuff, but I figure I can always feed the neighbors...

For bread mixes, I got the Alaskan Sourdough, the pumpernickel, and (I think...) the Oatmeal Toasting Bread. I also got a couple of quick bread mixes that are probably non-safe, but those are for a bake sale for the animal shelter I volunteer at.

The paper catalog is fantastic, and I think if you call them up they could point you to the non-dairy, low-fat options in it. They already have a gluten-free area in the catalog...maybe they just need to be told that an IBS-friendly section would be appreciated?

--AC

#108886 - 09/28/04 01:47 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hey AC,
Consider it done. I'll make a diplomatic suggestion re: IBS friendly items and let them know that there's a lot of us out here who need "special stuff." That should do it. How nice that you volunteer at the animal shelter. I did that for awhile and we now have one extra giant economy sized dog and four more cats which has put us in the zoo category what with all the other pets we own.
Thanks, Teresa

#109006 - 09/29/04 09:35 AM
AstroChick

Quote:

Hey AC,
Consider it done. I'll make a diplomatic suggestion re: IBS friendly items and let them know that there's a lot of us out here who need "special stuff." That should do it. How nice that you volunteer at the animal shelter. I did that for awhile and we now have one extra giant economy sized dog and four more cats which has put us in the zoo category what with all the other pets we own.
Thanks, Teresa

Hi Teresa--

Thanks for contacting them! If they seem unresponsive, post to the board and maybe a couple of us could just happen to request the same thing...

It's a struggle to keep the cat quota fixed in our house, but my husband dotes on his oldest cat and she really doesn't like other cats.

--AC

#109142 - 09/29/04 08:59 PM
Teresa Lynn

The deed has been done. I e-mailed them because I figured the customer service reps wouldn't have a clue. This way I will have a better chance. Also, there was a mention of an order as soon as I get my catalogue. That tends to generate a little more enthusiasm. We shall see what happens. Kitty Kitty looks so sweet. Purrs, Teresa

#109332 - 09/30/04 02:15 PM
Teresa Lynn

Hi Kandee,
I've got the pans and I was wondering if you have your yummy donut recipes posted somewhere? Thanks, Teresa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3828 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3089

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review