All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Regular
      #10807 - 06/05/03 08:24 AM
wac

Reged: 03/24/03
Loc: Casselberry, FL

Does anyone have any clue what that means? I've been taking my fiber supplement (Fibercon) four times a day and it's just not working. I am constipated for two days then on the third day the flood gates open up and I get an attack! Yes, I drink plenty of water. I was taking Equlactin but it's just too epensive (the only place that I could find it at was 4.69 for 24 pills and they recommend you take 8 pills a day!). So - I assumed it must be the Fibercon so for the last day and a half I've gone back to the Benefiber. Should I be patient and wait it out and see if the Benefiber starts working? Also, can I get some suggestions about incorporating insoluble fiber into my diet? It scares me!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Regular - Help Heather new
      #10875 - 06/05/03 02:05 PM
wac

I added to this post because I am still so frustrated. I've been doing it all right but I'm still constipated. I do have thyroid problems and have to have my thyroid rechecked this month - could there be a connection?

Re: Regular new
      #10876 - 06/05/03 02:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Are you taking two fibercon four times daily? What was your previous dose of Benefiber? You can take 2T twice daily for that. You need to allow a good 3-4 weeks for the soluble fiber to work for constipation that has been chronic and severe. It can take much longer than diarrhea to resolve.

For incorporating insoluble fiber (which is a really, really good idea) try blending up fresh fruits or veggies. Make fruit smoothies with soy or rice milk. Make veggie soups and run them through the blender, or fresh veggie sauces for pasta. Make zucchini or applesauce breads, pumpkin breads, carrot cake, etc. There are safe recipes for all this in Eating for IBS and on the recipe board. If you completely puree up the fruits and veggies and add to a soluble fiber base, you should be just fine. And you'll really increase your insoluble fiber level.

Are you able to exercise at all? That's really key to helping constipation.

Keep us posted...

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Regular Thanks new
      #10880 - 06/05/03 02:18 PM
wac

I have been taking two Fibercon 4X's daily. When I first started the Benefiber I was taking only 2TBS daily and I seemed to have a semblance of regularity. I stopped taking B because I thought it was making me extremely gassy (I now think it was the oatmeal I was eating it with). I read in your IBS - First Year that often the powders work better than the tablets. As for exercise now that I think about it I have let myself get lazy. I've lost 27 pound and I have that big head syndrome where I thought I could just laze by and not do anything to lose the other 20 I need ( I was wrong!). I bought a Yoga for Weight Loss tape and I am a member of a gym (I've wasted that money the past two weeks!!!). I know I have to get back on track with that. Lastly - do you know if the thyroid could be a connection?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 893 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 891

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review