All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
For C/IBSers: any problem with increased constipation with 3-5 mgAmbien or 25-50 mg Benadryl?
      #105680 - 09/13/04 06:00 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Trying to find a solution to help me sleep when I awaken in middle of night due to IBS sxs of distention and associated discomfort. Currently using 3-5 mg Ambien on rare occasion when I'm exhausted but have impression that it makes my C worse. However, really hard to tell if this is true or not b/c soooo much makes my C worse.

Have never used Benadryl b/c it's an anti-histamine so it's supposed to have potential side-effect of causing C. However, if some C/IBSers have had success with it, I'll give it a try.

All drug experience/insights [for insomnia] welcomed!

Thanks, from a tired gal.

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For C/IBSers: any problem with increased constipation with 3-5 mgAmbien or 25-50 mg Benadryl? new
      #105704 - 09/13/04 08:20 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

Gee, I use Benadryl every once in a while for hayfever sneeziness... just took one today in fact... and haven't noticed a C side effect.
And I'm the queen of C.
You might break a Benadryl tab in half and start with that level of dosage; that seems to be enough for me to relieve my runny nose and make me good and sleepy.

Re: For C/IBSers: any problem with increased constipation with 3-5 mgAmbien or 25-50 mg Benadryl? new
      #106366 - 09/16/04 07:04 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

Txs, good to know and your 1/2 tab is a good idea. What dosage of B do you take, 25 or 50mg?

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

#106369 - 09/16/04 07:24 PM
ptillen

I usually take a 1/2 of a 25 mg tablet. Teeeeeny amount, and it's enough to take care of the allergy symptoms (which are kinda intense this year, doncha think?)

#106529 - 09/17/04 12:32 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Quote:

it's enough to take care of the allergy symptoms (which are kinda intense this year, doncha think?)

Thank you! I'm in NY not WI but that explains why my allergies are so bad right now -- the cool wet summer we had!! Thanks for the "Aha!"

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Re: Hayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy feevahhhh! (ah- choo!) new
      #106558 - 09/17/04 02:01 PM
ptillen

Yup, I think so, cool wet summer here too, and now quite dry and rather warm (we've been joking that at last summer's here).
I've been waking up with a runny nose for about the past week, and I usually don't have symptoms like that this time of year.
Ah well. Come February we'll be pining for this weather huh?

#106571 - 09/17/04 02:58 PM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

I've had the worst trouble with a runny nose most mornings also-- what a pain! Yeah, February in MA... we'll all be wanting days like this!

Karen =)

#106614 - 09/17/04 07:02 PM
laural

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: near Tampa, FL

I have taking benydrl and temazepane for years.Benydrl for sinus problems.Temazepane 30mg. to help go to sleep.Temazepane is a short acting short duration sleeping pill so no groggy feeling in the morning,but it is in the benzodiazepam family{valium}.They both work great for me...everyone reacts different.Good Luck!

--------------------
May your hurricanes turn into tropical storms...that go out to sea.

#106703 - 09/18/04 10:20 AM
stephanielee

Reged: 08/31/04
Loc: North Carolina

When I can't sleep I take a dose of NyQuell; it's for colds but puts me out within 20 minutes. Hop this helps. Good luck to you.

steph

For sleep new
      #106710 - 09/18/04 11:01 AM
kemulvey

Reged: 07/05/04
Loc: Mass.

You might try 1-3 mg of Melatonin. I don't think it causes C and it used to put me out in 20 min. It's natural also.
Karen =)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 536 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1015

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review