Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia side effects--at low dose!
      #105090 - 09/10/04 10:28 PM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Hi,

Total newbie here. I just registered and checked out some of the past posts. My apologies in advance if you've already answered this question. Here goes:

I have IBS-C, nausea, cramps, gas, bloating--everything but D. Just started taking acacia with high hopes. I started at 1/2 level teaspoon per day, and over the course of a week ramped up to 2 level teaspoons per day. That seems gradual to me--but my cramps, gas, bloating, and queasiness are WORSE. I thought acacia decreased gas and bloating; seems it's having the opposite effect.

Any thoughts about 1) why and 2) what I should do?

Also: Ever since I've had severe C (past three years), I find that any supplement or drug that gets my intestines moving will always cause nausea and/or cramps. I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. Is this phenomenon familiar to anyone? Any suggestions re: why and what to do?

Thanks. My life is becoming more miserable and compromised by the day(I'm sure many of you can relate).

Salsagal

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia side effects--at low dose! new
      #105094 - 09/11/04 01:21 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Too much too fast, that's your problem! Try cutting back to 1/2 teaspoon and staying on that for a week, before increasing it to 1 teaspoon, etc....

The alternative is to stick it out for the two or three weeks that it takes your body to adjust.

Acacia, like all soluble fibre supplements, does NOT work by speeding up your gut motility. It shouldn't cause nausea or cramps. See Soluble fibre

Try again! Good luck! Btw, welcome!

#105097 - 09/11/04 02:19 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

hey there
wanted to welcome you first!
you have exactly the same type of ibs as me! I have suffered for ten years with it and have not yet tried the fibre supplements (I have a weird stubborness of trying to manage it through diet, but it may soon reach a point where I try them!).
I feel that ibs c can be managed well through diet and the good thing about it is that we can tolerate more wholegrains, fruits and vegies in careful proportions which are very nutritious.
Have you ever kept a food diary? Do you know what foods make you clogged up? what do you eat on an average day?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#105102 - 09/11/04 04:17 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

from conversations here adn on my own experience, any supplement can do that a bit the first week or 2 then it levels out... but once it leveled out I felt so much better.. but I'm IBS-A

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#105222 - 09/11/04 09:44 PM
salsagal

Reged: 09/10/04
Loc: Boston, MA

Thanks for your response. You suggest hanging out at 1/2 tsp. acacia for a week, then very gradually increasing. Given my experience, that makes sense. But at that rate, it'll take me many, many months to ramp up to a therapeutic dose. (I guess that beats running headlong into side effects and giving up on acacia, though!)

--Susan

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review