All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Oh, how awful new
      #104759 - 09/09/04 11:36 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm so sorry to hear this. I know just what he's going through and it is really truly unbearable pain. Not everyone with IBS gets hit with pain this severe, but it can happen. The fact that it's upper GI pain, instead of lower, is not classic IBS, but I have heard of this. He's right in feeling that it's a muscle spasm that can just disappear if things relax - it is literally the muscles of his GI tract spasming that cause the pain. Anything that makes those muscles relax will stop the spasm, and the pain. Unfortunately, I don't know of anything that will do that quickly and effectively except for narcotic painkillers - and they need to be injected for a rapid effect. The only way to get that is at an ER.

But - he might try a hot pack on his abdomen over the spasm, as heat can relax muscles. I'd also have him chew Altoids mints a few at a time - chewing 6 or 8 of those in a few minutes can get him enough peppermint oil to relax his gut. So can a cup of really strong, hot peppermint tea. If you use teabags, use at least four of them. For loose leaf peppermint use 2 tablespoons for the cup. Brew it so strong it's black - sips of that will help the spasms relax too.

If he's nauseous from the pain, it's not a bad idea for him to try and vomit. Sometimes, the violent contractions of vomiting kind of interfere with the spasms in the gut, and can get the gut muscles to relax. I've had this happen several times - not fun, but things are better in the end.

Were those chewable guar gum tablets Benefiber? If they were, throw that bottle out asap - those pills have sorbitol, an artificial sweetener in them. Sorbitol can cause cramps for people who don't even have IBS. It sounds like he may have taken quite a few of those tablets, and a pretty good dose of sorbitol along with them. That could absolutely have set him off.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

How terrible. new
      #104762 - 09/09/04 11:50 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hi,

I am so sorry about your husband's pain. Just wanted to ask if he has had his gallbladder checked? Reason I ask is my son had terrible pains in the upper stomach area and went to ER several times where only morphine helped him. He finally had his gallbladder checked and he was diagnosed with sludge in the gallbladder and it wasn't functioning. He had his gallbladder out and is fine now.

Also, beware of sorbitol.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

This is why I threw up so much as a child!!! new
      #104764 - 09/09/04 11:55 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Wow Heather, I had no idea! I used to throw up all the time as a kid...the pain would wake in the middle of the night and the only relief was vomiting. My parents thought I was a hypochondriac...just wanting out of school. It was HORRIFIC PAIN! I would be rolling on the floor, sweating profusely, shaking...the works. It was awful being woken up in the middle night as a kid...I was terrified! The pain would be there for a couple of days sometimes before I would throw up. I wonder what I was eating that didn't help me out there...

Thanks for enlightening me (again)!! You're the BEST Heather!! *hugs*

Maureen, how's your husband doing today? I hope he's all better now...

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2534 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3434

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review