All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How many Citrucel tablets per day?
      #103908 - 09/04/04 07:54 PM
Pupalei

Reged: 07/30/04

Hi. I've recently been diagnosed with IBS (usually D, for me). I've seen the following in a couple of different places on the website, and would like some clarification:

For the soluble fiber pills (Equalactin, Citrucel, Fibercon)
Start at 2 pills twice daily and work up to 2 pills six times daily, or the equivalent of 12-15 grams soluble fiber supplement per day.

As labeled, Citrucel tablets (which happen to be what I chose, since they are marketed as not causing excess gas) are 500 milligrams of fiber.

The directions on the bottle also suggest working up to 12 caplets daily. So Heather's website and the packaging appear to agree (since she says work up to 2 pills x 6 times per day = 12 tablets). However, 12 500 milligram tablets account for 6 grams of fiber which is considerably below 12-15 grams. Am I doing the math wrongly? Am I missing something?

I am not meaning to be picky. The information provided by Heather's books and website have already proven themselves invaluable to me. But I'm confused as to the number of pills recommended. Should I take 12 pills or 24-30???

Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How many Citrucel tablets per day? new
      #103940 - 09/05/04 07:24 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

You're doing the math right! Because the tablets vary from brand to brand as far as how much fiber they contain apiece, the information on the site and in the books is very generic. That's why it says "2 pills six times daily OR the equivalent of 12-15 grams". Your goal is 12-15 grams soluble fiber supplement per day.

So yes, with the Citrucel tablets, that would be 24 to 30 tablets per day as your ultimate goal, although you may find that you stabilize at less than that - another reason it's important to increase your dosage reasonably slowly.

Good luck!

Re: How many Citrucel tablets per day? new
      #103982 - 09/05/04 11:52 AM
Pupalei

Reged: 07/30/04

Gotcha. Thanks!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1388 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1454

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review