All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I have been taking Acacia for two weeks now...
      #103606 - 09/03/04 05:53 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I have been taking Acacia for two weeks now and I upped my dosage to two teaspoons and it has done nothing for me. I actually, feel like I was going almost everyday and now I seem to be more consitapated is this possible?

I think maybe it is because I am under a lot of strees, I am plaining my wedding in December and we just moved into an apartment. Can stress constipate you?

Also, should I increase the Acacia, if so how much 1/2 teaspoon? I am taking two teaspoons in the morning. Thanks.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I have been taking Acacia for two weeks now... new
      #103609 - 09/03/04 06:16 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

With IBS, anything is possible.

Constipation takes a while to resolve itself. I've been on the diet and taking supplements for a little over 3 months, and I still have problems with it from time to time. I'll ask the standard questions: are you eating insolubles? drinking lots of water? exercising? I'm lousy at exercising, but I'll admit from the times I've gotten myself out to do it - it really does help.

Stress is DEFINITELY an IBS trigger. There was a discussion here just yesterday (I think started by David?) that talked about stress, and some people here gave excellent suggestions in how to deal with it, so I won't repeat all that... a little scrolling and you should be able to find that one.

When I was increasing my fiber, I increased every 5 days or so. More information about acacia dosages here. You definitely do want to end up taking more than 2 tsp a day. I don't know how much that is in fiber grams, but I know I didn't feel any different until I worked up to a much higher dose. Also, I don't know how much of a difference it'll make immediately, but it's more beneficial to take the fiber several times during the day. You could start by splitting your dose and taking half in the morning and half at night. Never know, might help.

Good luck!

Casey new
      #103613 - 09/03/04 06:22 AM
Sweetd

I am not exercising I was, but I am so busy lately. I am going to try to get back into it though. I am drinking a lot of water. As for insolubles, I haven't added any yet, I am too scared to. I was going to add them when I started to become more stable and I am up to two tablespoons of Acacia. Thanks for your advice, you are always so helpful! I will look at that post. I can use the help for the next few months.

--------------------

CASEY, how are you feeling this morning...... new
      #103614 - 09/03/04 06:24 AM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

Hey Casey,

Just thinking about you and hoping you are doing better this morning.

I'm getting ready for work and I don't feel too hot today.
Woke up about 5AM with tummy ache...went to bathroom about 3 times (not "D") and now a little nauseous. Can't think of anything I ate that was different and wouldn't agree with me. Could be stress related, though. Mom found out yesterday that she had a gas leak and since her house is so old they would have to replace a lot of pipes, etc and would cost $2,500. Things like that stress me out cause I worry about everything and everybody.

Hugs coming your way
Barbie

--------------------

Re: Casey new
      #103617 - 09/03/04 06:31 AM
atomic rose

I totally understand your fear! I still have days where I feel lousy and won't eat any vegetables, but for the most part... if you've been following the diet for a few weeks, you *must* start adding some things back in. That's most likely the reason you're feeling more constipated, because it sounds like you're doing pretty well otherwise. Here's 2 things to try that I found ULTRA-safe when I first started adding insolubles back in: frozen carrots, cooked well, and canned peaches in juice or light syrup. Don't overdo it, and remember to eat some solubles first, but I think you'll find that adding insolubles will help a lot - maybe not immediately, but in the long run.

Hey, just glad I can help!

By the way, congratulations! Weddings are so exciting, tee hee - although I bet that's not what you're thinking as you plan it! Heh. Been there - a couple times!! - know all about it. I know it's easier said than done, but ultimately, don't worry... your wedding will be GORGEOUS and perfect.

Aww, Barbie... new
      #103618 - 09/03/04 06:36 AM
atomic rose

Poor you! I know all about worrying about everything and everyone. I hope it's "just" stress and that you feel better quickly!

I just woke up - I don't know yet if I'm doing better today or not. I'm still nauseous. I haven't taken my lexapro yet, and I haven't eaten yet either, so that might make a difference.

Feel better! *hugs*

#103619 - 09/03/04 06:38 AM
Sweetd

Thanks Casey . I am very excited and nervous at the same time. There is so much going on and so much to do before a certain time, it can be crazy at times, but fun too, which is good. I am looking forward to the "BIG day".

I will add those foods and also you had said you eat baby food veggies and fruit. I think I am going to try that, it sounds very safe. Do you eat the whole jar or is that too much?

--------------------

PS - Sweetd new
      #103620 - 09/03/04 06:38 AM
atomic rose

Here's the stress thread. I thought I'd link it just in case - it was further down the page than I thought it was!

Re: PS - Sweetd new
      #103621 - 09/03/04 06:39 AM
Sweetd

Thanks!

--------------------

#103623 - 09/03/04 06:47 AM
atomic rose

I've only tried the fruit - not the veggies - so I can't vouch for those. These days, I eat the large jars, but I started with the smaller ones. The mango one by Gerber is especially tasty. I'm sure you've seen me say this before too, but it makes a good topping on an English muffin or a thick slice of toast... that's a nice safe way to try it.

I can relate to that - I was nervous and excited and sometimes overwhelmed with the planning, but looking back on it, it was a lot of fun. My best advice is to not sweat the small stuff. Little things will probably go wrong, but nobody remembers that in the long run - they just remember the happy bride and groom.

Got time for a wedding catastrophe story? Or is this a bad idea? Haha.

Funny story: my second marriage, we had the reception in a fancy restaurant, and had to order our cake ourselves. We decided on cheesecakes, in a couple different flavors. Well, guess what? It came time to do the cake-cutting, and those stupid cakes were frozen hard as bricks! Our budget was so tight that we couldn't just order a dessert for everyone from the restaurant, so our guests had sorbet and fruit for dessert, and we never did cut a cake - we sent the frozen cheesecakes home with a friend. But it was a good laugh afterwards.

#103628 - 09/03/04 06:57 AM
Sweetd

Thanks, that is helpful to know. I am going to buy it tomorrow.

I think too much, that is my problem, my mind is always going. I am going to try and enjoy to the fullest extent.

Well, you had fun right, and it is something smile about looking back. Everyone I talk to has a wedding story, it seems to happen to the best of us. Well atleast they had some yummy desert to bring home.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 735

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review