All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
To IBS-D folks
      #103017 - 09/01/04 05:55 AM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Ok, I was told by my crappy GI doc that I might have Crohn's because I have 'd' almost daily along with bad cramping pain. Is that not just one type of IBS? he said because I don't alternate between c and d that it's not likely IBS. Are there any of you IBS-D people that hardly ever get constipated? I just want to figure this out. Thanks.

p.s. I am starting to think that I might have Crohn's which is BEYOND scary to me. I bough Jill's book and some of the symptoms sound like me except for the blood in stool(yuck), fever and lack of appetite.

I am actually praying that ALL I have is IBS. Imagine that! Before I prayed that it wasn't IBS. Hmmm....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: To IBS-D folks new
      #103021 - 09/01/04 06:12 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Although I've now settled down to IBS-A, I had d daily for ages, so that doesn't mean it's not IBS. Your GI really is crappy, isn't he?!

Have you had a colonoscopy yet? I don't think you have and until you do, you can't get a definite diagnosis either way, so you're doc's talking out of his a**e!

What SFS are you on? Has it not helped? Have you tried Immodium taken daily?

#103024 - 09/01/04 06:18 AM
Sara-Sage

Hi there. Ya, he was a crappy doctor.

I am meeting with my family doctor tomorrow to go over what the GI told me. I wonder what he will say. I'll mention the colonsocopy to him. But from what I've heard, it doesn't always find Chrohns. So I if have it and it looks fine, I might still worry that I do have Crohns and it will be getting worse and worse by not treating it. (I'm a HUGE worrier!)

I take the acacia fibre twice a day. The fibre has helped a bit. This is something else I talked about with the crappy GI doc. I told him that I take it and while it's more "formed" it's still not like a regualar bm. He said it would never be and mushy will be the best that I will ever have. I've increased my dose to 3 teaspons twice a day. How much do you take? Maybe I should take way more?

I take Imdoduim as needed but it usually is once a day.

Re: I have D and never, ever, ever get C!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #105056 - 09/10/04 05:38 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

#105086 - 09/10/04 09:34 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

Hey girl..

I am also taking three teaspoons of acacia twice daily. I honestly haven't noticed any changes and was wondering the same thing.. whether or not I should take more, because the whole time i've been working on it.. its never helped all that much.

As for the D.. I always have D.. I've never ever had a regular BM in over five years. So... to answer your question.. even if its not painful.. It will come out normal at first, but then become mushy at the very best.

so.. I occassionaly don't go everyday. but I wouldn't say that I am constipated at all. However, whenever I do go. its rare that its normal.. even with the diet and the fiber.

oh man I hope I don't have crohns too. ahhhhhhhh

--------------------

#105115 - 09/11/04 07:26 AM
Sara-Sage

No, I think that lots of people wth IBS can have 'd' every day and it's not a sign of Crohns.

#105116 - 09/11/04 07:26 AM
Sara-Sage

Thanks.

Your picture looks familiar. You're not from Ottawa, are you?

#105158 - 09/11/04 11:14 AM
macgirl

Reged: 07/16/04
Loc: Idaho

My dad was diagnosed with Crohn's about 5 years ago. He had such TERRIBLE cramping when he was first diagnosed. Are you experiencing a lot of this? I will tell you, his life has turned around since he found a supplement called Primal Defense. It really has made a HUGE difference. I want to say that it can be taken if one has IBS, but I would have to check on that.

Good luck to you. This IBS stuff is just miserable. I hope you don't have Crohn's and just a lame doctor.

#105169 - 09/11/04 01:13 PM
amo616

Actually I Live in Sault ste. Marie. But we visited Ottawa in August and absolutely loved it !!!!! What a great city. I ate ethnic food all week -- yum yum yum!!

--------------------

#105249 - 09/12/04 06:09 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I never get constipated -- but I now have normal bowel movements -- now that I am mostly stable. I should add that I used to have D every single day -- even when it wasn't horrible attacks -- all my movements were like D -- until I become more stable.

Edited by kshsmom (09/12/04 06:10 AM)

One week in my life I was C and that was 15 yrs ago new
      #105291 - 09/12/04 08:33 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

have no idea what the cause was. My sister (not ibs) and Aunt (ibs) both lean toward C and I can tell you I would much rather be D. My sister and I were talking, when she was pregnate, how if she could give me alittle of her C and me alittle of my D we would be perfect! Just saw the Canadian film The Barvarian Invasion, is that what the Canadian health care system is like? Just curious.

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Canadian healthcare system new
      #105293 - 09/12/04 08:39 AM
amo616

Haven't seen the Barbarian Invasion but just remember one thing about the Canadian health system: universal coverage. The U.S. has 45 million people with no health insurance, that's 45 million people who could be bankrupted and lose everything if they get seriously ill.

I lived in the US till my early 30s and have been in Canada for the last 12 years and I will take the Canadian healthcare system any day. Profit should have nothing to do with healthcare. Nobody should be turned away because they can't pay.

--------------------

Re: One week in my life I was C and that was 15 yrs ago new
      #105447 - 09/13/04 07:36 AM
Sara-Sage

I haven't seen that movie so I can't comment on it?

#105448 - 09/13/04 07:37 AM
Sara-Sage

Any tips on how you became more stable?

#105449 - 09/13/04 07:38 AM
Sara-Sage

Ok, you look so much like a previous next door neighbour. Isn't that funny?!

Ya, Ottawa's a great place.

#105450 - 09/13/04 07:40 AM
Sara-Sage

Yep, I have bad cramping. Almost daily, in fact.

I sure hope it's not Crohns too.

Re: Canadian healthcare system new
      #105480 - 09/13/04 08:36 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

The movie just shows that the hospital is over crowded and people are placed out in the hall, when there is an empty floor down below. It also depicts the son "buying" his father what he needs in the hospital, opening up the empty floor, paying off the union, etc. But the whole point of the story is the father and son coming together. I have been fortunate to always have great health insurance and can basically see who I want to without precertification. I am very upset that too many Americans have poor or no health insurance. And what scares me even more is that you have to earn basically nothing to get assistance and the middle class is slipping everyday with no help. I believe health care coverage is a right not a privilege. I remember when I was small and we dealt directly with the doctor's office regarding payment. If you couldn't pay in full at that time, you weren't looked down upon, something was arranged. I was just curious to see how other countries health systems worked and if the movie depection was close to reality.

--------------------
IBS-D

#105506 - 09/13/04 10:00 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Honestly - I just follow the diet (with very few insolubles) - take my fiber (I'm up to about 12 grams per day)- and I take chewable papaya enzymes after lunch & supper.

If I eat out I eat half the meal - and if I think they might have added butter to something, I also take a Lactaid to help with that -- though I ask for things without butter... sometimes it's cooked in.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 769 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2200

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review