All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
frustration
      #102705 - 08/30/04 05:32 PM
amo616

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have taken two vacations this summer and during both my IBS-D disappeared. During the last one, which was last week, I ate tons of restaurant food -- and a big bowl of ice cream every night. No diarrhea!! No symptoms at all!! Now that I am back home the IBS is back.

So it seems like stress must be my key trigger!!! But I feel so helpless because I don't feel that stressed out. My stress is all pretty ordinary. It's not like I have cancer or a recent family tragedy.

I also can't seem to get past the fact that at times the IBS goes away and I can eat a lot of the foods. I keep falling into the trap of thinking I am normal again and then I come crashing back to reality.

It's so frustrating!!! My two weeks away tell me that the symptoms can be made to go away simply by getting away from reality but I can't do that permanently!!

I would appreciate hearing about anyone else's experiences with this. It's really pretty easy to modify your diet or take fiber. It's a lot harder to fix subtle stress that you know is there but can't eliminate because let's face it, if you have no stress you probably aren't living.

I don't know if this makes any sense or not. I just feel so overwhelmed at the idea of trying to make myself well by fixing stress that must be there but seems uncontrollable or even undefinable. But it must be there or why else would I feel great on vacation???

I do exercise at least 2x per week and get a massage once a month.

--------------------

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'd look into the IBS hypnosis program.... new
      #102715 - 08/30/04 06:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's the single best thing I know of for addressing stress-related IBS problems (even if you don't feel stressed out). The fact that your symptoms basically disappeared when you were on vacation is actually a great sign - if you can just get your "real life" stress levels down to the point they're at when you're on vacation, you should be pretty much home free. The hypnotherapy should do that, and I'd bet it would do it fairly quickly considering how fast you reacted to your vacation. Check the hypnosis message board for questions, and read through the hypno section of the site.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: I'd look into the IBS hypnosis program.... new
      #102718 - 08/30/04 06:21 PM
amo616

I know that's where I need to go, but it's almost stressful to think about trying to reduce my stress!! My brain is going, just what I need, another half hour chunk out of my day!!! I already don't exercise as much as I should or floss my teeth every day or spend enough time with my kids.

I was just looking for online relaxation sites to see if I can find one that I can access for five minutes here or there during breaks at work to reduce my stress there.

--------------------

Re: frustration new
      #102721 - 08/30/04 06:39 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi! I am the same exact way! I'm an IBS D and when I go on vacation, even just for a weekend, mine seems to disappear also. I can even almost get IBS C which is very rare for me but when I vacation it's welcomed! I can eat just about anything too. Won't attempt ice cream though...too afraid!

I was once told by a GI doc that the reason that happens is because you go out of your routine and it kinda messes up your body but in our case it's like a temporary good if that makes sense. As soon as the work week comes, I get my usual morning IBS attacks.

I too, have the norm stresses. Nothing overwhelming like you said. Maybe we just don't realize it. Who knows but I can go a whole weekend eating junk and be fine then come Monday....ughhhh it's down hill. I have no explanation...Sorry... but at least we know that it's not in our minds since we've determined that it happens to both of us or maybe even more people.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: frustration new
      #102897 - 08/31/04 03:06 PM
amo616

thanks for commenting!! There's some comfort in knowing I am not the only one!!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3396 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 543

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review