All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
Had My GI app't. today and.....
      #102690 - 08/30/04 04:29 PM
jeenerz

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Northwest Montana

he wants me to get off acacia immediately (I don't really think he knew what it was ) and start on the fibercon w/ 2tablets in the am and 2 before bed. Plus, he put me on a very low dose a drug called amitriptyline 10mg. Has anyone ever heard of it? I never have. His hopes are to calm the colon down so that I don't have the attacks 1st thing in the mornings which is when my problems occur. He did blood work for thyroid (have lost 12 lbs in the last year--hmmmm maybe because I haven't eaten much with the IBS????) and also tested for sprue.Plus I have to do a hemocult to check for blood in the stools. He didn't want to do a colonoscopy for awhile yet; wants me to do these things for 6 weeks and then he'll evaluate at that time whether a colonoscopy is due. I was bound and determined that I wasn't going to do any antidepressents for this IBS as I do not have a problem that way, but he said this is such a low dose and is used for these kind of stomach problems. Plus, the thing that made me listen to him more than I might have is that he said he has problems with IBS in the mornings and has found lots of help with taking the fibercon. I hate to give up my acacia, but in reality don't know how much it was truly helping. So guess I'll try the fibercon. 4 pills a day doesn't seem like much, but we'll see. Oh yes, he did tell me I could keep taking 1 Imodium every morning as a preventative although he'd like to see me wheen off it (and wouldn't I too!) Thats providing the rash I got last week wasn't caused by the Imodium. If the rash comes back, then of course, no more Imodium. Sooooooooo, that's the scoop. He said I might have a mild case of diverticulosis, but if I do, he'd treat me the same way as he is now. Don't really know how I feel about the visit, other than the fact that they forgot to check me in and after waiting out in the waiting room for 1/2 hr they took me back where I waited for another 45min. before the doc came in...by that time I was a littlel up tight to say the least.
I would be interested to hear if anyone has every heard of or taken this amitriptyline and how it worked.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Acacia and Fibercon are basically the exact same thing.... new
      #102691 - 08/30/04 04:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

they're just soluble fiber supplements. Does your doc know that?

If mornings are your problem, try taking your SFS last thing before you go to bed at night, and first thing in the morning.

Also, if you switch to Fibercon, watch your dose, because there's only 1/2 gram of fiber in each pill, so it can take a lot of pills each day to get you the dose you need to really control symptoms.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Acacia and Fibercon are basically the exact same thing.... new
      #102693 - 08/30/04 04:34 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Amitryptilene is the generic drug name for Elavil. You can do a search on that. I was on it for awhile, it helped me (though I was taking 50 mg) without affecting my psyche at all. It did cause me to gain a bunch of weight though.

Re: Had My GI app't. today and..... new
      #102700 - 08/30/04 05:12 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Hi!
I think that just the fact your GI doc has IBS is a plus! Hey if anyone can understand it, he can! I'd stick with him for a bit and see how it goes.

As far as you saying you were determined not to take an antidepressant I have heard a lot of people take them for other reasons than depression/anxiety. I worked with a lady that took Paxil for her IBS and my sister used to get migraines so they put her on some kind of antidepressant drug. I'd give it a try if I were you just to see how it works. It may be your miracle. Good luck.

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

Re: Had My GI app't. today and..... new
      #102706 - 08/30/04 05:33 PM
heather7476

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: South East Michigan

Hello
Amitriptyline is a genric form of elavil. I took it for five years for Vulvodynia. It worked realy well for controlling the pain from that. It realy didn't effect my mood or anything. I did get realy sleepy on it and did gain a ton of weight. I started at 25mg and by the time I went off to get pregnant I was at 150mg though. 10 mg shouldn't make you gain much weight or make you to tired. I would realy give this a try. I'am trying Zoloft right now because I don't want to gain the weight. But if Zoloft don't work I may go back on the Elavil. It was a realy good med for me with the Vulvodynia.
Good Luck

--------------------
Heather7476

Hi Janene new
      #102712 - 08/30/04 06:06 PM
barbie

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: Texas

My mom is on Elavil to help her sleep. When you start taking it you might want to take it in the evening and take it on a day when you don't have anything planned or when you don't have to drive... Just to see what reaction you will have. My mom hasn't had any problem other than dry mouth and it has really helped her relax and sleep. Hope it works for you. BTW, I think Laura Sue takes Elavil, too.

Glad he said you could continue the Imodium since it seems to be helping you.

Good luck
Barbie

--------------------

Hey There, Barbie! new
      #102725 - 08/30/04 07:03 PM
jeenerz

How's it going? I don't know about this Elavil...I don't have problems sleeping and don't have lots of pain--just a spastic colon that has a hard time waking up in the mornings. Plus, I hear it can cause you to gain weight, which I do NOT want to do. But I'll give it a try and see what happens. I can always stop it, right??? Have a good one...
Janene

Heather: I told him that acacia was a soluable fiber, but new
      #102726 - 08/30/04 07:07 PM
jeenerz

I still don't think he had ever heard of it; I'm just kind of concerned that 4/day won't be enough and he was adament that that is all I should take. Right now I do 1.5tsp of acacia before going to bed and 1.5 tsp first thing in the morning. Does FiberCon and Acacia have the same basis for their fiber?
What do you think I should do??? My question is that if they are a little different, then maybe I should give it a try, but I'd be popping tons of pills a day!!!! Don't know what to do....
Janene

Re: Acacia and Fibercon are basically the exact same thing.... *DELETED* new
      #102727 - 08/30/04 07:08 PM
41DMBFAN41

Reged: 08/09/04
Loc: Pennsylvania

Post deleted by Heather

Chinagirl
      #102728 - 08/30/04 07:10 PM
jeenerz

What were you on the Elavil for? My doc put me on it for having a spastic colon in the mornings (that's when all my problems occur) He said I could increase my dossage up to 3 pills /night if I need to. But I don't really want to gain weight..

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3213

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review