All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Is anyone out there?
      #102466 - 08/29/04 08:49 PM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

It is almost 12am here in Maryland and my two girls have their first day back to school tomorrow and I have work on top of that and I am still up b/c I have thee worst case of hiccups. Everytime I hiccup the whole bed shakes. I think I am keeping the husband awake. Does anyone have a quick cure for a case of the hiccups?

Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is anyone out there? new
      #102469 - 08/29/04 08:57 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hiccup cures are always more superstition than anything else, I'm always told, but this is what works for me: Take a deep breath and hold it... while you're holding your breath, take a sip of water. Then exhale slowly. Sometimes I have to do this a couple times before it stops, but it works for me every time.

#102470 - 08/29/04 08:59 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

OMG is ANYTHING worse than the hiccups? Seriously I'd rather have D. Not to get too personal, but I always have the hiccups in the middle of my cycle, when I'm ovulating. It even still happens now that I'm on the Pill, which I think is so weird. Same for my mom, too. Anyway I used to get the hiccups a TON when I was kid ... literally almost every day of middle school (probably some weird puberty thing since that time's not awkward enough), and my dad would always make me try his special cure. He takes a wedge of lemon and tops it with a spoonful of sugar and some bitters (I think Angastora is the name on the bottle -- Dad used to be a bartender / bar owner so we always had weird stuff in the house). Anyway it generally worked on the first or second try, so if you have bitters in the house, try it.
I've also heard that drinking water from a glass by putting your mouth on the far side of the rim and bending forward to drink it is supposed to work. Oh also taking 3 deep breaths and holding the third one, but that one never works for me.
Good luck -- hiccups are really the worst.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Thank You Amanda! new
      #102472 - 08/29/04 09:05 PM
Tissy

I think a combination of drinking from the farside of the rim on the glass and 3 deep breaths worked. So I am going to run back to bed and try to fall asleep before they start again.

THANK YOU!

Christie

--------------------
Christie

#102493 - 08/30/04 04:11 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I hope they are gone by now, but my moms trick mostly works- a taspoon of sugar- ON the spoon.. put it in your mouth, close, and let it dissolve as you swallow- forces you to basically hold your breath for the time it takes it to dissolve as it works...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#102541 - 08/30/04 08:50 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Christie, nice picture!! Glad the hiccups went away and good luck to your girls on their first day of school!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Laura Sue new
      #102579 - 08/30/04 10:33 AM
Tissy

Thank You Laura Sue! That is very sweet of you. I have dropped my girls off to school and I felt a little sad. I just put my baby into her first real pre-school, she is 4. I have a 6 year old too who is in 2nd grade and she is already like "Bye mom, you can leave now." Kids are great!

Christie

--------------------
Christie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 962 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 609

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review