All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
when is the best time to take supplements?
      #100735 - 08/23/04 06:39 PM
M_J

Reged: 04/20/04

When is the best time to take the following supplements:
digestive enzymes
fiber supplement
probiotics
l-glutamine

before meals, morning, night???

Are there any brands of enzymes and probiotics that are more reputable or reliable than others? it's really difficult to compare products just by reading the label (mg/DU/IAU/fccpu ).

thanks so much,

M

(IBS-D)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: when is the best time to take supplements? new
      #100792 - 08/24/04 05:27 AM
Sweetd

Reged: 07/13/04
Loc: NY

I take fiber, vitamins and probiotics with breakfast. Also, I take peppermint caps through out the day, between meals. The probiotics I have to take two a day, so the other I take with dinner. I haven't worked my way up to being stable just yet, so I am trying to add more fiber. When I start taking more fiber I will take more in the morning and space out the rest to dinner and before bed (which a lot of people on the board said to do).
The probotics I take is PB 8 Probotics Acidophilus. The vitamins, I take Solgar multi vitamins, with chelated vitamins (chelated means that they are easy on the stomach)an I take an additional C, because it doesn't have enough in it. I take Solgar Ester C, this is also for sensitive stomachs, it is a lot easier to break down, since C is very difficult to break down. As for the digestive enzymes, I have tried a bunch of them and they all seem to have the same ingrediant, which is an ab ibs trigger (atleast all the ones I saw, I forget what it was, but I remembered when I was looking for digestive enzymes. So, I stopped taking them. So far, all of this seems to be working just fine for me.

--------------------
Ibs-d and fructose sensitive.

Re: when is the best time to take supplements? new
      #100863 - 08/24/04 09:00 AM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Digestive enzymes like Lactaid and Bean-O should be taken with the food. Fiber supplements are usually best taken in divided doses several times during the day. I take mine just before each meal. Probiotics like acidolphilus can be taken any time. I take one at breakfast and one at lunch.
L-glutamine I'm not familiar with.

I think there's enough government regulation of supplements that any brand is fine. My husband shops around for the lowest cost ones and they work just fine for me.

Hope that helps!!

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1108 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 636

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review