All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
who has been helped w/ this diet?
      #100171 - 08/22/04 06:15 AM
fatgirl1

Reged: 11/04/03

Please tell me if anyone with bad gas and bloating has been helped w/ this diet- what did you eat- what medicines if any did you take. Thanks- I really need some feedback.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: who has been helped w/ this diet? new
      #100176 - 08/22/04 06:26 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You can hit the search button at the top of the page. We have discussed this thousands of times.
Try fennel tea - crush a teaspoon of fennel seeds up and put it in a tea strainer. Put into a mug of boiling water. It really works wonders.
You can also hit the "yoga for IBS" icon at the left side of your page. There's lots of poses to help relieve trapped gas.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#100179 - 08/22/04 06:28 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I hate to jump in and say yes right now when I am in a bad swing at the present time- but that is my fault. The diet has helped greatly for my gas and bloat! I am still working out the regularity stuff but if I could go when I needed to and not when I am home I would be a lot better. Anyway the diet is so sensible; I will never go off it. No one will ever be able to tell me the trigger foods are okay, especially fat/grease. Yet besides the diet other stuff has to be figured out personally and even when following it perfectly stress can still get you. I personally will never go off it.
I take fibercon at breakfast and dinner but no meds at this time. I drink store bought tummy teas. I eat cheerios and soy milk for breakfast, lots of bananas, luna bars, for dinner I eat asian a lot but I cook all sorts of things. For dessert i have soy ice cream malts or sorbet or cho. soy milk. Hope this helps.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#100183 - 08/22/04 06:39 AM
fatgirl1

thanks tamara for answering- I guess it is so much trial and error which is hard when you are suffering. I was wondering do you eat fruit more than 1 time a day- and what if any fruits do you eliminate?- How about wheat- or veggies- or do you just follow Heathers recommendations to eat w/soluble fiber.? Thanks

#100184 - 08/22/04 06:41 AM
fatgirl1

Yes- I do drink fennel tea- and I do yoga- so I guess I just was curiuos for more detail on what has helped gassy people like me.

#100204 - 08/22/04 09:06 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

yoga, fennel tea, and gas-x when I eat something that sets it off.. which so far I haven't tracked.. I thought soy might be doing it but I went off soy for a week and it didn't make a difference.. I am definitely less bloated and less gassy then I was... and my SFS seemed to make my bad until I started taking it in fennel tea rather then just in some other drink....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#100268 - 08/22/04 12:30 PM
Little Minnie

I had to cut out a lot of fruits like melon, grapes, raw plain berries. I eat bananas regularly and homemade strawberry jam and strawberries whirled with soy ice cream in a blender. I seem to handle cooked root vegetables great also peas and beans. For other veggies I eat last if at all. I eat a lot of rice with dinners or potatoes and baggette. I am not so bloated when I am regular and that is a big part of it. Bloating is caused by spasms and discomfort in the GI tract and so Heather's diet really works for that but just not right away maybe. Right now I am very bloated because I have had 2 bad weeks where looking back I veered off the diet too many times and then I had D Friday really bad and have been C since, so my bloating is much worse for that reason. I think bloating cannot be treated like a separate thing, especially for an A person like me. When the bowels are doing good the bloating is better. I hope that all makes sense.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#100271 - 08/22/04 12:46 PM
LauraSue

Reged: 01/14/04
Loc: New York City

Yes, I've been helped by this diet. My severe gas and bloating is virtually completely gone. But keep in mind what Heather says, that the bloating is the hardest of the symptoms to get under control. It takes a little longer but it can be done.

Heather's diet is key, including NO TRIGGER FOODS! Do not cheat even a little or you'll bloat right up again. Also avoid gas producing foods like beans, broccoli, etc. Fennel tea and yoga you know about.

Meds over the counter that help me are Gas-X (aka Phazyme, simethicone, etc.). I take two extra strength caplets every morning as a preventive. And Mylanta liquid if I start feeling crampy and gassy and bloated despite the Gas-X.

Prescription meds -- I take an antispasmodic called Bentyl (dicyclomine) which I think helps with my gas and bloating too.

Finally, keeping a food diary was extremely helpful for me in the beginning, especially since attacks of D or gas or bloating can be set off by something I ate the day before or several meals before.

Hope this helps! Let us know how it goes, okay?

--------------------
Laura
Keep it simple!

LittleMinnie made a key point here new
      #100356 - 08/22/04 07:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's a lot more helpful to treat IBS globally instead of trying to address just one specific symptom. Calming down the spasms of the gut and normalizing bowel function will also help prevent/relieve bloating and gas. It all ties together into a whole.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

blushing-nt new
      #100387 - 08/22/04 08:16 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

#100682 - 08/23/04 03:35 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

Please tell me if anyone with bad gas and bloating has been helped w/ this diet- what did you eat- what medicines if any did you take. Thanks- I really need some feedback.

I have! I used to be SO BLOATED! I felt like I was pregnent or something lol. I don't know if you're IBS-C, but I am, and I know being C also triggers the bloating/gas. So I take Metamucil twice a day, and it works great. I know Heather says to be careful with it, I guess some people it makes their bloating worse, but if you're IBS-C then I would suggest just trying it and see what happens(I tried stuff like Benefiber and nothing happened). As far as foods, I stay away from whole grains, careful with the fruit(especially grapes/raisens), raw carrots/cauliflower/broccoli, careful with fats. I avoid dairy anyway cause I am lactose intolerent, but this is also supposed to be a big no-no. I know others on the board are fine with oats, but for me I have to be careful, so I try not to have Cheerios or oatmeal too often. I can eat a lot more foods now though and not get triggered(I can eat beans!!), because of my SFS I suggest getting on one.

--------------------
IBS-C

#100786 - 08/24/04 04:49 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh definitely. Though my best weapon against gas and bloating is fennel tea. Absolutely amazing!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1010 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1721

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review