All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is a safe dosage of Magnesium to take daily for C, and is Oxide the best form?
      #179189 - 05/15/05 06:19 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

How many mg is safe to take daily? Is Magnesium oxide the best from or does it not matter for Constipation? I've read that Oxide is best.

Jessica

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is a safe dosage of Magnesium to take daily for C, and is Oxide the best form? new
      #179340 - 05/16/05 11:51 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I don't know what the safe dose is, unfortunately. I hope someone else can give us the answer to this.

I have read and researched the best absorbed types and they seem to be glyconate and malate forms. Oxide is the worst absorbed, probably why it's the cheapest and most readily available. You can find it at any grocery store. But you can only find the other forms at a HFS or Whole foods.

I'm not sure about Citrate form, but it is definately better than Oxide.

Re: What is a safe dosage of Magnesium to take daily for C, and is Oxide the best form? new
      #179369 - 05/16/05 01:14 PM
jessica28

Actually, what I meant was Citrate, oops....I don't know why I said Oxide. I have some Citrate, it seems that this type is harder to get, I got it through a Health Food Store. Hopefully, someone can add to this!

Re: What is a safe dosage of Magnesium to take daily for C? new
      #180199 - 05/19/05 06:56 PM
Cyndy

Does anyone have any valid input from a doctor who is knowledgeable and trustworthy?

How much do other C people take a day?

There seems to be some coflicting opinions on this one. I'm scared to do damage if I take too much.

Thanks for any help.

Cyndy new
      #180222 - 05/19/05 09:51 PM
jessica28

I haven't gotten much feedback on this one. When I go back to the doctors next week, I'll ask him and see what happens.

Thanks Jessica new
      #180316 - 05/20/05 09:03 AM
Cyndy

Please post the answer! There seems to be so much discrepency on what is safe. Some say over 2000 mg a day is safe in form of philips chews or tablets. All my internet research say that 400 mg is safe but no more than 1000mg maximum!

I take 600mg and want to increase, but since I'm already over the 400mg, I worry about going up to 800 or 1000mg.

Let us know what your doc says. I am going to try and contact mine as well, but he isn't good about taking phone questions! I have yet to get an answer from him over the phone!

Re: Thanks Jessica new
      #180334 - 05/20/05 09:50 AM
jessica28

Like I saw you had put on another post, everybody tells you something different and it's our health that is in jeopardy, pssibly. It's frustrating, huh? I'll try my best to see if I can get a somewhat "accurate" answer to this!

I consider myself well informed on this... new
      #180392 - 05/20/05 01:27 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

You want the LEAST absorbed kind of magnesium because when your body doesn't absorb it, it passes it through your body as waste, which gives it it's great stool-softening properties.

I switch off magnesium and miralax, but when I take magnesium, I take 1500-2000mg. The brand I use is actually by Phillip's, and it says on the front "Laxative Dietary Supplement" by it is NOT a laxative, it just acts like one. My doctor maintains that magnesium is safe to take in large quantities because it is NOT absorbed well by the body, which, once again, gives it it's wonderful stool-softening properties.

HTH!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

The least absorbed kind? new
      #180535 - 05/21/05 08:05 PM
Cyndy

If it isn't absorbed, then how would it do anything? A dietician once told me that if a vitamin or mineral is not absorbed it is escreted through the urine, and never enters the body which is what stool is composed of. Therefore, it wouldn't even go through the colon, GI system, and eventually out the rectum or anus or butthole (take your pick they are all gross words )Maybe I shouldn't try to understand it. I take glyconate and/or malic because they are the best absorbed so I thought they would work the best for C. What form would be least absorbed? Oxide?

I read a book at the HFS that says a chelated form of magnesium is best for IBS. I'm not sure if they were saying it was for constipation IBS or all forms of IBS. I am going to Whole foods tomorrow and will read their Nutritional book to see what it says.

the websites I went on today say to take 400-800mg for constipation. so much inconsistency.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1010 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1736

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review