All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Help..... soluble fibers are killing me new
      #24153 - 10/22/03 08:52 AM
weinerschnitzel

Reged: 10/21/03

i need help with this problem. what am i doing wrong? i would really like to get the health benefits of soluble fiber but it always aggravates my condition. i have read the works of elaine gottschall and she thinks that they can contribute to microorganism growth in the intestines. is this true? does this explain why i get worse? i have used many types of probiotics and homemade goat milk yogurt but that only helps a little. why do i have such horrible reactions to all grains including rice? is it related to my blood type? or is this all false.

everytime i try a soluble fiber i end up dramatically intensifying my symptoms. the symptoms start to rage after about 1 week and by the 4th week they are out of control. if i withdrawal the fiber i settle down within 1 week. i have tried many types over the last 12 to 15 years and nothing helps. it just gets worse and worse.

i think that any type of gel or gooey substance is what causes the reaction. maybe it is true that people who have O-type blood need to stay away from things like pectins and such.

i am also bothered by sugar of any type and chicken is really bad. Wheat and pretty much every grain kills me. i can handle legumes pretty good except for the ones that form a gel or goo. red meats and fats don't cause a problem but IBS has been my diagnosis for 18 years. everything checks out as normal and i think it is just a bad case of some type of food allergies or intolerances. my doctor told me that my immune system is probably messed up but he does not know why.

do you think i have IBS?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: i really like this website!!!! new
      #24154 - 10/22/03 08:58 AM
weinerschnitzel

this is a great forum. whoever designed it did an incredible job. i really like the color scheme. just looking at the colors gives you a very peaceful feeling. most forums are dull but this one has a distinct personality. it is like being in someone's nicely decorated home.

Re: Help..... soluble fibers are killing me new
      #24155 - 10/22/03 09:10 AM
tnchawk

Reged: 04/02/03
Loc: New Ken, PA

I have O type blood and do not have this problem. It sounds like you have some type of Celiac/wheat allergy. I mean I am no DR, but you may want to get tested for that if you already haven't.
I can recommend a website of 2 naturopaths that I see that can give you some free advice via email. If you are interested, they will do a consulatation with you via phone. ( That is $110) They helped me TREMENDOUSLY with my IBS just through changing what I ate and helping my liver function better through some supplementation. If you are interested it is www.askrph3.com.

I hope that you are well soon.

Christianne

--------------------
What if the Hokey Pokey is what it's all about???

Re: Help..... soluble fibers are killing me
      #24158 - 10/22/03 09:38 AM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

This is for Heather, Hi I was wondering if you have ever heard of a product called Digetrin? This a website I found
www.digestrin.com. Has anyone on the board used it?
Sherr1

Hey, thanks! -nt- new
      #24165 - 10/22/03 10:38 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Help..... soluble fibers are killing me new
      #24166 - 10/22/03 10:40 AM
weinerschnitzel

i eliminated wheat and anything else with gluten a very long time ago but that still left me with huge problems.

i am on a very strict diet which helps very much but I am still plagued with this condition.

Haven't heard of it, but new
      #24167 - 10/22/03 10:46 AM
HeatherAdministrator

checked the website and it looks like a combo of acidophilus, psyllium, and herbs. The herbs look good - helpful stuff like peppermint and chamomile. The acidophilus can help too. Psyllium is my last choice for soluble fiber though - it's likely to cause bloating and gas.

I didn't see the cost of the product, but if it's affordable I don't think it could hurt to try it if you do okay with psyllium.

Wait - OMG! I just found the price, and it's $75 for a bottle of 90 pills! That's outrageous. You're basically just taking a pill form of soluble fiber/herbs here, and there's no way it should cost anything close to this.

You could just take a soluble fiber supplement and drink herbal teas and get the same ingredients at a fraction of the cost.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Haven't heard of it, but new
      #24172 - 10/22/03 11:01 AM
sherr1

I'm so new to all of this. Thanks! I did see the price and thought it was $$$. I haven't tried a supplement yet.I'm still confused on what to try. My mom has had colitis in the pastad said the metamucil and citrucel gave her gas bad and she is primarliy constipated all the time.She uses a chinese tea, but I have had d bad in the past and now have some c. I'm scared to get the d back. any opinons??
Thanks Sherri

#24181 - 10/22/03 12:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hi - Try Benefiber, Citrucel, Equalactin, and/or Fibercon. You might have to try all of them to find the one that is most tolerable for you. What gave your mom gas won't necessarily do that to you. There is a LOT of individual variation here, unfortunately - makes it very hard to just give one recommendation to everyone. Do avoid anything with psyllium and artificial sweeteners.

Soluble fiber supplements normalize both d and c, and keep you normal. There's detailed info here web page If you hang on till tomorrow I'll have the acacia info up and you can read that too - I'm hoping that it is more tolerable than any of the other supplements on the market. Clinical studies point to that, and I've had terrific results from it...but again, that individual variation is always the wild card.

Also - the Chinese tea your mom is using is probably an herbal laxative - bad idea. Her bowel can get dependent on it just like a drug, and stop working on its own. She should really try to wean herself off of that and onto a soluble fiber supplement. If she has ulcerative colitis (just "colitis" is an old-fashioned term for IBS) then she needs to see a doc, because she definitely should not be using herbal laxatives. If she really has IBS instead, she'll have to try Benefiber, Equalactin, etc. and see what type works best for her (might not be what works best for you). Citrucel is usually pretty well tolerated, but she may have used the artificially sweetened kind (which can cause huge problems). Also, she should be carefully incorporating insoluble fiber foods into her diet by cooking/blending/pureeing and combining them with soluble fiber. Fresh fruit smoothies, blended veggie soups, etc.

- Heather

--------------------

#24182 - 10/22/03 12:12 PM
sherr1

Thanks Heather I'll wait for the update tomorrow. I would like to say thank you to you and all the board members, without the daily chats and sharing ideas, I' probably go stir crazy.
Sherri

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review